Are you an interpreter working toward certification? Are you a mentor, coach, employer or colleague supporting interpreters entering the field? The CATIE Center at St. Catherine University is working to support your success and effectiveness.
Through an experiential learning model, we are offering the Graduation to Certification (GTC) program which includes the GTC Journey track – a method for making new resources available to as many people as possible. This program provides interpreters, students, mentors and educators free and unlimited access to the following:
- GTC Resource Library: A searchable database of videos and activities targeted to specific skills.
- Free Access to 3 Online Courses:
- Effective Learning and Practice: This free online course, in the Canvas Learning Management System, provides a foundation for how to approach your learning and practice in the most efficient and effective way.
- Body Language: A Cardio Workout: This free online course, in the Canvas Learning Management System, supports you in building language competency for talking about human anatomy in ASL and features the skills of Nigel Howard.
- Body Language: No More Digestive Distress: This free online course focuses on building competency for talking about the digestive system in ASL and also features the skills of Nigel Howard and Kendall Kail.
- NIC Exam Preparation: This free online course guides you in getting ready to take the NIC Interview and Performance exam. Work is being done to prepare for the new tests for deaf and hearing interpreters coming from CASLI in 2020.
- A Sample Monthly Plan focused on Fingerspelled Word Recognition and Classifiers: This sample shows how you can create an individual development plan that focuses using a variety of activities that use effective learning and practice principles that are explained in the online course listed above.
The CATIE Center has created an opportunity for interpreters in the community to use GoReact with their colleagues and/or mentors for getting feedback on video samples. This requires a license from GoReact. You can read more of the details about this option by clicking here.
Who Can Use These Resources?
While these resources are targeted for interpreters who have graduated from an interpreting program and are working toward certification, they are available to anyone who can benefit from them – including current students and educators, mentors and language coaches who work with novice interpreters.
You can learn more and sign up for notification about new resources at: https://grad2cert.org/gtc-journey-track Please assist us in spreading the word to others who may be looking for affordable, high quality support in their professional development. For more information about the Graduation to Certification program, visit grad2cert.org or contact the CATIE Center at email@example.com.
The St. Catherine University CATIE Center, Graduation to Certification project is funded by the US Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration, #H160C160001.
Although these resources were developed under a grant from the Department of Education, these contents do not necessarily
represent the policy of the Department of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal government.